Who will WIN this matchup?
Milwaukee Brewers (39-29)
@ San Francisco Giants (28-38)
Nelson (MIL): 0-1; 12.00 ERA
Bumgarner (SF) 3-6; 3.83 ERA
Last 10 Games Played:
Milwaukee Brewers: 6-4
San Francisco Giants: 6-4
Milwaukee Brewers: (-109)
San Francisco Giants: (-101)
• After winning the series opener with a rare power surge, the San Francisco Giants look to carry the momentum into Saturday afternoon’s contest against the visiting Milwaukee Brewers. The Giants began the three-game set ranked 14th in the National League in home runs (60) but went deep three times in Friday’s 5-3 victory.Kevin Pillar, Pablo Sandoval and Mike Yastrzemski each homered and Will Smith recorded his 17th save in as many chances as the Giants won their third straight and improved to 4-2 on their eight-game homestand. San Francisco is seeking more consistency from leadoff hitter Joe Panik, who went 0-for-4 on Friday and is batting .208 over his last 17 games after hitting .325 in 20 contests from April 28-May 23.
• Milwaukee has lost two of its last three following a four-game winning streak and went 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position while stranding 11 in Friday’s loss. Ryan Braun saw his eight-game hitting streak come to an end after going 0-for-5 with two strikeouts.
• Nelson made his first start in 21 months on Wednesday and allowed five runs – four earned – over three innings in an 8-1 loss to Miami. “He’s disappointed with how it went, but you have to keep getting back up,” Milwaukee manager Craig Counsell told reporters. “He’s fought this fight for a long time now. He has to keep getting up, keep getting better, and he’ll do that.” The 30-year-old missed all of last season due to a shoulder injury after going 12-6 with a 3.49 ERA in 2017.
• Bumgarner was a hard-luck loser on Sunday against the Los Angeles Dodgers after allowing one run and four hits in seven innings. The four-time All-Star will be a free agent at the end of the season and could be one of several veterans dealt by the Giants before the July 31 trade deadline. Yasmani Grandal is 2-for-16 with seven strikeouts against Bumgarner, who is 7-4 with a 2.63 ERA in 12 career starts versus Milwaukee – including an 0-2 record and 4.50 mark in two outings last season.
• Giants C Buster Posey is 22-for-47 with four extra-base hits in his last 12 games against Milwaukee.
• Brewers OF Christian Yelich extended his hitting streak to 11 contests with an RBI single on Friday.
• San Francisco 1B Brandon Belt has reached base safely in 17 straight games.